Rummage Sale Fundraiser!
What: wide variety of affordable kids toys, jewelry, and household items
Primates Incorporated improves the quality of life for monkeys retiring from research facilities, private ownerships, and the entertainment industry.
Researchers from across the country contact us annually to retire their monkeys; the problem is that most sanctuaries are full and they often have to reject the researchers and the monkeys. Primates Incorporated aims to fulfill this niche by constructing an enriching and spacious primate sanctuary here in Wisconsin while serving as a prototype for other states to establish their own community-supported sanctuaries.
We plan to fulfill this mission by:
• Assisting in placing primates at appropriate sanctuaries as rescue scenarios arise
• Promoting primate rescue by recognizing the important work of existing primate sanctuaries
• Researching new funding opportunities, hosting outreach events, expanding our volunteer base, and networking with the community in order to establish an innovative, spacious, and enriching primate sanctuary in southern Wisconsin.
• Collaborating with an advisory board consisting of a combination of professionals with various backgrounds in order to provide the most appropriate accommodations for the primates
• Collecting behavioral information on animals prior to their placement, performing behavioral observations directed at improving their well being, and providing the rehabilitation results to the public via online resources and newsletters
Did You Know?
• The 2010 USDA Animal Welfare Report indicates that 71,317 primates are housed in U.S. laboratories, while 54,435 are on standby to be used in research. (Approximately 8,000 monkeys are housed in Wisconsin research facilities.)
What we do know is that there are researchers out there who are planning for the retirement of their primates from research as we speak.
• Even if as few as 1% of the primates had a chance at retirement, the handful of primate sanctuaries in the country could not accommodate the primates.
• The problem is that it is difficult to find funding to retire monkeys and it takes a lot of effort by both the sanctuaries and researchers to coordinate the retirement of the monkeys.
• If funding is not available and/or the primate sanctuary cannot accommodate additional primates, the researcher may get turned down, and then the primates will likely be sold to another study or kept on as breeders.
• Primates Incorporated aims to build a sanctuary and serve as a prototype for other communities to establish their own sustainable sanctuaries so that the thousands of primates who have a chance at retirement can finally get the peaceful sanctuary they deserve.
*MONKEYS DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS*
Additionally, the primate sanctuaries are filled with monkeys who were former pets. As monkeys age, they become aggressive towards humans. As a result, they are often confiscated by authorities and are sent to a monkey sanctuary. It is a sad situation for all involved. What's worse is that former pet monkeys require intense rehabilitation because of the unnatural/human-based environments they were forced to live in.
Various Ways to Help Our Cause
We need to raise $600,000 to make the sanctuary a reality!
Donations can also be sent by mail to:
PO Box 7384 Madison, WI 53707.
Shop at our Ebay Store
Purchase Our Fair Trade Coffee
Our Just Coffee "Upright Blend" is a natural selection of Maya super dark & Colombian coffees for survival of the fittest! $11.00 per 12 oz. bag, $25 bulk 2lb. bag.
Buy Our Wine
Organic wines from Chile - $7 goes to primates inc! Just click the ad to purchase!
Donate a Portion of Your Show Proceeds. Book a show and donate 50% of your proceeds to Primates Incorporated! We will send you the promo materials for the event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!
Click Here to find out what's happening with Primates Inc.
Sign Up for E-news
Email email@example.com and type "subscribe" in the body of the email. You will be informed of our quarterly progress.
Visit our Ebay Store!
We are getting a variety of unique items donated, so act now for best selection! Click Here
ResourcesClick here to explore videos, listen to podcasts and read interesting articles relating to primate issues.
Let's be Social